Blog Description

You are likely to find everything golf here. Product reviews, course reviews, tournament commentary, and of course reports on my on-course travails. I hope you find it enhancing.

Note: The way the editor works, the appearance of the blog is different depending on the laptop/pc/smartphone that you are using and the screen resolution. It may look great on one and very different on another. Sorry, but I can't control that. Hopefully you get the gist and won't be too put off if it doesn't look the way it does on my monitor...which of course is fantastic :)!

Monday, August 25, 2014

WORLD AM CHAMPIONSHIP 2014: DAY 1 AT THE PEARL EAST

The Pearl Clubhouse & Sign
In honor of all the positive minded folk who always have such positive things to say regardless of circumstances, I will start with the positive. Considering some very wet weather last week, including Saturday when I first visited Pearl East, the course was in really good shape this morning, including some immaculate greens! Fantastic work by Course Superintendent Robert Gamble and his staff!

Clubhouse from the rear
Yes, there were some imbedded balls here and there, and there was one cart path only hole (the fascinating 10th with two trees in the middle of the fairway), but lift clean and place was in effect, and we managed to finish our round in a little over 4 ½ hours. Compared to yesterday’s 5 ½, it was practically heaven, and I managed to stay semi-lucid throughout.

Scenes from The Pearl East
When I came through on Saturday, I noted that the course was about as interesting a course as I had played in some time, maybe ever, but I couldn’t appreciate the beauty of the course with all those dark clouds, lightning, thunder and heavy rain. 
Hole No.2
Today, in the brilliant sunshine, The Pearl East showed that she really was a gem of a track! In fact, Steph commented that some spots on the course were so captivating that "it makes you want to build a house and live there forever!"

Mike taking care of business
Mike Benson is one of the most congenial Head Golf Professionals I’ve ever met. I think maybe he’s tied with The Hideaway’s Sean Balliet and Treviso Bay’s Mark Wilhelmi for the top spot. He was very accommodating when we emailed prior to coming to Myrtle Beach and made sure that Steph was well taken care of when we arrived at the course this morning. 

Frank Yates, my therapy partner
Let’s see…what else can I write about that was positive? Hmm, well, the temperature was a crisp 64 degrees when we walked out this morning, and I did have good playing partners once again, making it three for three at the World Am with cool foursomes. Frank Gates, who rode with me, and I formed an immediate therapy group, as we both needed therapy early in the round.

Darius Oshidar- our foursome leader


Ron Wills was on the borderline of joining the therapy group, but Frank and I decided to make the group exclusive, and let his cart partner, Darius Oshidar, console him. Darius wasn’t thrilled with his round despite shooting an 87, four strokes better than Ron, seven better than I, and nine better than Frank. Darius was good enough to hold down a tie for 6th in our flight. Only the good company kept the bogey blues from totally consuming me. 
  
Ron Willis' effective putting crouch
Oh yeah, I am still supposed to be writing about the good stuff. I did have a birdie on the short 305-yard par-4 No.8, and finished the final hole with a par (missing a 10-footer for birdie). Other than that, there was a par here and a par there, but that’s about it for the good news.

For those of you who can admit to “negative” sentiments such as disappointment, you can relate to the disappointment I felt in my inability to do any of the things I had been doing fairly well coming into this event. Simply put, I think the expectations must have gotten to me, and the body is willing and able, but the mind hasn’t been thus far.

Doesn't look as bad as it was, does it?
More good news? Well there are still three days to go, and it is possible that I could rediscover some semblance of a golf game and post a few good rounds the next few days. Only time and golf swings will tell. I came in planning on making it to the final day on Friday. Now, I’m back to hoping to finish in the top ten in my flight! My net score of 82 has me tied for No.30 in our flight, 11 shots behind the leaders.

I was thinking that the 94 I shot today was the worst of the nine rounds I have played in the World Am thus far, but I was wrong. I carded a 100 in my very first World Am round in 2011. I improved every day that year, but only enough to finish 16th in my flight. I guess I’ll have to settle for improving everyday this time as well.

Steph & Blues Bros at 19th Hole
Ah, one final bit of good news which you can always find at the World Am is the world's largest 19th hole, held at the Myrtle Beach Convention center. With 10 food stations, perhaps as many free drink stations, and ice cream too, how bad can it get? So we bring Day 1 of the World Am to a close, having hit the course, and the 19th Hole, and next the sack. Stay posted for Day 2 from Willbrook Plantation, which promises to be chock full of lovely views for Steph to shoot. Let's hope that the seeds I've been planting all summer will finally blossom at the Plantation tomorrow. Until then... 

Steph & T. A.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.