Blog Description

You are likely to find everything golf here. Product reviews, course reviews, tournament commentary, and of course reports on my on-course travails. I hope you find it enhancing.

Note: The way the editor works, the appearance of the blog is different depending on the laptop/pc/smartphone that you are using and the screen resolution. It may look great on one and very different on another. Sorry, but I can't control that. Hopefully you get the gist and won't be too put off if it doesn't look the way it does on my monitor...which of course is fantastic :)!

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

NINE WITH NOLAN AT CYPRESS LAKE COUNTRY CLUB




Heading to the tee box with Nolan Henke at Cypress Lake
There are those who have the talent and skill, the mental and emotional fortitude, the, the…whatever it takes to wield a golf club well enough to make a living, and there are the rest of us who marvel at the magic in their hands. 
Steph holds a flag about as well
as she holds a camera :)
Obviously I am among the latter, but I had the chance to ride along with one of the former one fine afternoon this summer at Cypress LakeCountry Club, and, as usual, Steph was there to capture the occasion.

As one of the venerable courses in our neck of the woods, one that has hosted a professional event (Chico’s Patty Berg Memorial) and a premier junior event (SWFJGA Henke/Berg Junior Masters) in the last few months, playing Cypress Lake, in and of itself, is a rare treasure. 

Cypress Lake clubhouse through the trees
After all, Cypress is a contoured classic, the second oldest track in the Fort Myers area, and has been home to three golf hall of famers! To be accorded that privilege and the pleasure of playing alongside a PGA Tour professional could only be considered a gift from the golf gods.

Ok, ok, so maybe only a golf-a-holic would feel that way…my name is T. A. and I am…but if you are willing to beat balls on the range for a few hours then go out and play 36 holes, without getting paid for it, then I’m sure you agree with me. Surely only a special alignment of the stars could make something like that happen for a devoted hacker such as me.


T. A. & Dan Pontes-
Head Golf Professional at Cypress
In this case, the aligned stars happened to be Dan Pontes, Head Golf Professional at Cypress Lake, and Nolan Henke, a three-time winner on the PGA Tour and soon to be a Champions Tour contender. When I use the term “star” I am speaking literally as well as metaphorically. You do not win on the PGA Tour unless you are a “star,” and Dan’s bio suggests that there has been more than just a little twinkling in his past.


Cypress Lake Pro Shop
Although this post is really about an afternoon with Nolan Henke, I have to give Dan his due, because it wouldn’t have happened without him. A Bay Shore, Long Island, NY native, 
Cypress Lake scenes
Dan was offered college scholarships in soccer, basketball and baseball.  He accepted a baseball scholarship from Long Island University, where he also lettered in golf and track. C’mon, who competes at the Division one level in baseball, golf, AND track? Only a star, right?

More Cypress Lake scenes
Dan was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in 1993 and played pro baseball for 10 years before a shoulder injury dimmed his athletic stardom. Baseball’s loss was golf’s gain, and in just three years, Dan had worked his way from Assistant Professional at Ocean Hammock Golf Club in 2003 to Head Golf Professional of the Links Course at Hammock Dunes in Palm Coast, FL in 2006.

Dan Pontes
With all of the above to this credit, you wouldn’t be surprised if Dan were a bit swell-headed, a bit conceited, and barely able to get his head in a golf cart, right? Well, I don’t know the guy all that well, but my impressions after a few interactions is that you aren’t likely to find a more down-to-earth, laid back, congenial head golf professional anywhere.



Phases of Nolan's swing
What about Nolan? Given that I am not a name journalist and do not write for a prestigious publication, there wasn’t much in it for Nolan to go out there with someone he didn’t know, especially on the weekend when he usually spends time with his kids. I knew he was giving up treasured time that he would be spending with his 12-year-old daughter Hayden, whom I met when she was volunteering at the Junior Masters at Cypress Lake.  

That's how a pro finishes
In any event, although Nolan’s wife Michelle is a client of mine, neither she nor Nolan owes me any favors, so I suspected that Nolan must be a pretty cool character to agree to playing nine holes with a hacker. The time I spent with Nolan that Saturday afternoon merely confirmed that he was a stand-up guy. 

When we finished nine holes, the "Nine with Nolan" project that I had talked about for months (anticipating that no touring professional not being paid would want to go 18 with
Wish I had his stroke :(
someone of my caliber) was extended to 18. It was a pleasant surprise when Nolan suggested that we play 18, AND offered complimentary tips. You can bet that Steph and I became the most ardent fans (outside of family) Nolan will have when he gets back out on Tour.

Navigating Cypress greens
In addition to a favor to Michelle (his wife), I suspect that Nolan agreed to participate in the “Nine with Nolan” project because it would also highlight Cypress Lake, his home club for the past seven years or so. Before heading out to the first tee, I asked Nolan what was special about Cypress Lake, and heading to the practice green, he just said, “follow me and you’ll find out.” 

Bryce Koch- Cypress Lake
Golf Course Superintendent & VP of  

EvergladesGolf Course Superintendents Association
The greens are apparently up to PGA and Champion’s Tour standards, and just what one would need to practice on before heading back out on Tour. Nolan was quick to credit Cypress Lake’s Course Superintendent, Bryce Koch, for the tremendous job he does with the course. 

It was clear, as we made our way around the Cypress Lake track, that the Tiff Eagle greens were a tad, actually quite a bit more than a tad, faster than those of The Hideaway, my home club. I putt okay on all but a couple holes. I think Nolan’s touch had rubbed off on me…only for a little while as my performance at the World Am indicated.

A good day comes to a close at Cypress Lake Country Club
I suspect that had I had that afternoon with Nolan a little earlier in the season, I might have had my alignment issues (which he astutely noted) squared away by the time I teed it up in Myrtle Beach. Apparently it wasn’t early enough because the “rights” were with me almost all day on that final day, and I suspect it may have had something to do with my alignment. Nice try though Nolan :).

Hall of Famer Patty Berg Memorial
In any event, the afternoon will live on in my memory, and as usual, I could go on writing extensively about the experience, but I suspect you get my drift. The bottom line is that an afternoon on the links
at Cypress Lake Country Club would be an afternoon well spent in and of itself. Combine that with the company of a soon-to-be-touring golf professional who is also a stand up guy, and that’s an afternoon that is hard to beat for someone whose sleep is often embellished with dreams of golf.

I'm sure that Michelle, Hayden, and Jake (Nolan's eight-year-old son) will miss him sorely when he goes back on the road. However, I suspect it is the right place to be for
Nolan Henke 
someone who still remembers fondly those preteen days 
when his dad dropped him off at Fort Myers Country Club on the way to work. Nolan has only played golf for a living, and a great living is playing golf. When Nolan goes out on the Champions Tour next year, we'll be going with him in spirit.

Hey Nolan, I appreciate your taking the time and contributing to a great experience. Michelle, Dan, the afternoon wouldn't have happened without either of you, so major thanks to you as well. And of course to Steph who provided a photographic chronicle of my nine that turned into 18 with Nolan. Until next...
Steph & TA





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.