Blog Description

You are likely to find everything golf here. Product reviews, course reviews, tournament commentary, and of course reports on my on-course travails. I hope you find it enhancing.

Note: The way the editor works, the appearance of the blog is different depending on the laptop/pc/smartphone that you are using and the screen resolution. It may look great on one and very different on another. Sorry, but I can't control that. Hopefully you get the gist and won't be too put off if it doesn't look the way it does on my monitor...which of course is fantastic :)!

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

2014-15 WEST FLORIDA AMATEUR TOUR SEASON ON THE HORIZON- I'M IN!

Ritz-Carlton Golf Club- site of season opener
If you don’t like seeing your name on a leaderboard, if you only like playing with the same foursome on the same golf course, with not much on the line except what you usually put on the line, then you probably won’t care much about what I’ll be writing about here. However, if you enjoy playing stellar new golf courses, competing against new golfers on a regular basis, with opportunities to bolster your 19th-hole kitty, then I think you might want to read on…

My 15 minutes of leaderboard fame at the 2013 World Am
Listen, even before seeing my name atop the leaderboard at the 2013 World Amateur Handicap Championship, I was hooked on tournament play. Since that experience, I look forward to any opportunity to challenge myself on the golf course, and to that potential rush of seeing my name atop the leaderboard. Now I have such and opportunity right in my own backyard!

WFAT 2014-15 Season Calendar
I’m talking about the West Florida Amateur Tour (WFAT) based in Sarasota, which, under the leadership of new WFAT Director Ross Hanson, seems poised for takeoff during the 2014-15 season. The WFAT offers one-day quota/skins events, 2 – 4 times per month from December 1 through April 20. The addition of three two-man-team special events has increased the number of events from 12 last season to 15 this time around.

Despite my working-man’s schedule, I’m now a member of the WFAT and I’m going to shoot for one event per month through the end of the season. Yeah, it’s likely to cost me more in sacrificed lessons than I’ll make playing the events, but despite popular belief, money ain’t everything…golf is! Obviously I’m joking (at least a little) there, but I am a bona fide golf-a-holic, and the only program they have for that is the 18-hole program.

In any event, membership in the WFAT is just $50 and if you play just two events, you will have covered your membership cost. If you play more than two, well, now you are earning money by becoming a member…and that is over and above what you make playing golf on some very sweet tracks!

Golf goodies in Cypress Lake Country Club proshop
Seriously, although the prize money comes by way of pro shop vouchers at the host courses, you can surely make enough to cover that new driver or putter you might be craving. I’m thinking it’s worth the entry fee and travel, even though I have to travel an hour or so up I-75.

Larry Herman (left) gets winner's prize from Ross Hanson
For example, although I’m not sure how they used their vouchers, in the Ritz-Carlton Series at the Ritz-Carlton Members Golf Club in January, Larry Herman pocketed $300 for winning the Net Division, and John Vaccaro did the same for winning the Gross. Oh, Vaccaro also picked up more than $150 for winning two skins as well. 

WFAT Partner- Golfsmith
Entry fee covered? Check! Membership covered? Check! Think you could pick up something nice in the pro shop for that? Oh, how could I forget, having partnered with Golfsmith, the WFAT offers a $10 gift certificate for all participants in each event. More golf stuff on the horizon…

Lakewood Ranch: Cypress Links #10
(Palmer/Martz Design)
Photo courtesy of lakewoodranchgolf.com
Ah, but it’s not just the chance to pocket a few greenbacks that holds the most allure for a documented golf-a-holic. The anticipation of playing private courses designed by renowned architects like Tom Fazio, Donald Ross, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Rees Jones and Ron Garl really accelerates my pulse.

Ritz Carlton Golf Club
Photo courtesy of Ritz Calton website
For example, the first event of the season will be at the aforementioned Tom Fazio-designed Ritz Carlton Members Golf Club, and I can tell you from the experience that Steph and I had when we covered one of the West Florida Golf Tour’s professional events, that it is a lovely track that would tickle the fancy of any avid golfer.

Sara Bay Country Club- Photo courtesy of fsga.org
Or perhaps you are more of a history buff and would relish the chance to play on a legendary Donald Ross-designed gem that dates back to 1925 and saw the likes of Bobby Jones and Tommy Armour gracing its fairways and greens (they never saw any rough, right?). If so, then you would enjoy Sara Bay Country Club, another private venue open to WFAT members and tournament participants at the Sara Bay Series, the second Tour stop December 8.

Bradenton Country Club
Photo courtesy of bradentoncc.org
If you couldn’t make the 8th, you get another crack at a Donald Ross design on the 15th, when the Tour makes its third stop at the Bradenton Country Club. This masterpiece from 1924 in another track you wouldn’t have access to unless you were a member, but the WFAT offers you the key to this vaunted venue.

TPC Prestancia- Photo courtesy of golfersguide.com
In fact, in addition to the courses listed above, WFAT members and competitors will be welcomed at both courses (East & West, designed by Gary Player, renovated by Rees Jones) at Laurel Oak Country Club, two of the three championship tracks at Lakewood Ranch Country Club (Royal Lakes & Cypress Links- Arnold Palmer design), as well as the Ron Garl-designed TPC Prestancia in Sarasota.

Sara Bay Winners Justine Harper
 & Roc Irey
 
Listen, if you enjoy the adrenaline rush of starting the back nine in contention, if you like standing over a four-foot putt that actually means something, go take a look at the WFAT website and see for yourself if it’s something you would enjoy doing. I guess I should mention that any guys afraid of losing to a woman should not enter, because women are welcome, AND have won on the WFAT! Yes, the women do play from a different tee than some of the guys, but so do the 60-plus men.

T. A. at River Strand
The bottom line is that whether you’ve just gotten back to sunny Florida or have spent your summer here, your golf game should be as good a shape as it gets, and there is a series of breathtaking challenges awaiting you and your golf buddies on the West Florida Amateur Tour. Oh, and just in case your game isn’t in tiptop shape, you still have almost a month to get ready for the first event.

Hideaway Quota/Skins Game players
I’m throwing out the challenge to all of the members of the Fort Myers Golf Club, to all the members at The hideaway Country Club, to all the golfers who played the Hideaway Quota/Skins game this summer: Come join me on the West Florida Amateur and lets have a great time on some great links, and pick up some pocket change while we’re at it. Are you in?

Chris Capps tees it up at Treviso Bay in Naples
I think my buddy Chris Capps is in for the season opener on December 1, and Steph and I will be photo-documenting our escapades, so stay tuned for more on our West Florida Amateur Tour adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.