Blog Description

You are likely to find everything golf here. Product reviews, course reviews, tournament commentary, and of course reports on my on-course travails. I hope you find it enhancing.

Note: The way the editor works, the appearance of the blog is different depending on the laptop/pc/smartphone that you are using and the screen resolution. It may look great on one and very different on another. Sorry, but I can't control that. Hopefully you get the gist and won't be too put off if it doesn't look the way it does on my monitor...which of course is fantastic :)!

Saturday, November 21, 2015

1ST ROUND COVERAGE OF THE 2015 SW SERIES AT THE FOREST- BEAR

Joe Stein (left) taking care of business
After my less than stellar performances in golf tourneys this year, I wanted to give it one final shot. I have a hard time accepting my mediocrity, so I entered the Florida State Golf Association’s 2015 SW Series at The Forest- Bear Course, November 21 -22. Thus far in my limited experience of golf events, the organizers and course staffs have been terrific, and Joe Stein, the FSGA’s GHIN Regional Manager SW Florida, and the Forest’s pro shop staff members have been no exceptions.

TA with balky putter
Again, similar to my previous experiences, my Day 1 performance can be aptly described as middle of the pack mediocrity. I shot 86, leaving a few shots out there due to sub-par putting and mental error or two. I was obviously the third best player in the group with Dan Hammer and Mark Porraro teeing it up with me in Flight-2 (handicap index 9 – 14)Fortunately, I was not the story out there today, but the story of the first day’s round did come from my group.

Dan Hammer totally focused
The noteworthy happening on Day 1 at FSGA 2015 SW Series at The Forest was Wisconsin native Dan Hammer pounding all the other competitors into the turf at the Forest with his 74 gross, 63 net score. Dan rode a hot putter (4 birdies) to a seven-shot lead over his closest competitor in our flight, Gary Johnson.

Mark Porraro chips up
Johnson shot 85, but had a course handicap of 15, resulting in a net of 70. Dan will have to have a meltdown, or someone else will have to catch fire for him to be caught tomorrow. Although my cart partner Mark’s 83 was the second best gross score of our flight, he sits in fifth going into the final round. Mark wasn’t too thrilled with his play today, so I expect him to bring his A-game tomorrow.

Dan smacks one off the tee
Dan’s 74 wasn’t the absolute best score today, as Mike Andre in the Championship-Flight (handicap index 3 – 3.8) shot 69 gross to lead his fight. However, with net scores in play, Dan’s 63 was six strokes better than anyone else in the field. Andre’s 69 was seven strokes better than his nearest competitors, Jim Marcelak and Greg Shires, both of whom shot 76 from the Championship Bear tees.

Only five players in my flight posted better rounds than I did, but net scores left me in a tie for ninth (of 19 in flight) going into the final round. I don’t feel too horribly though, since my score was better than three of the six Flight-1 (handicap index 3.9 – 8.9) competitors. Daniel Gregg was the best of Flight-1 posting an 80 gross, 72 net. He leads Gus Quiros and Rick Koenigs by five shots going into the final day of competition.


Steph doing her thing on camera
Me? I’m just hoping we can get the round in tomorrow and to shoot a decent round. As always I have to thank the lovely Steph for her terrific camera work, especially feeling under the weather as she was. She’s such a trooper! Until tomorrow then… 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.