Blog Description

You are likely to find everything golf here. Product reviews, course reviews, tournament commentary, and of course reports on my on-course travails. I hope you find it enhancing.

Note: The way the editor works, the appearance of the blog is different depending on the laptop/pc/smartphone that you are using and the screen resolution. It may look great on one and very different on another. Sorry, but I can't control that. Hopefully you get the gist and won't be too put off if it doesn't look the way it does on my monitor...which of course is fantastic :)!

Friday, August 26, 2016

SUMMER 2016 GOLF HIGHLIGHTS- ACT 1: CHICAGO GOLF

Fountain on #8 at The Hideaway
One of my favorite times of year is here, and if you know me you know that that must be somehow related to golf. Although I usually have a terrific August, simply because it’s the time that Steph and I head to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for the World Amateur Handicap Championship, there has been some icing on that cake this August.

Tee Box on Silver #4
Can you see our caddie way below in the background?
The tastiest portion of that icing thus far was my trip to the Chicago Area in mid-August. Courtesy of the generosity, hospitality and sway of Richard and Ruth Edelman (tennis friends from Gulf Harbour), I experienced the beauty of Stonebridge Country Club in Aurora, Illinois and the magnificence of Rich Harvest Farms (RHF) in Sugar Grove, Illinois.

I’m excited to play almost any two new golf courses, but I really anticipated playing these two, given the fact that one was a Tom Fazio design, one is characterized as a midwestern Augusta, and both have hosted professional events (gotta be special to attract pro events, right?). 

As Richard, Patty and Russ Taruscio and I traversed the Stonebridge track,the only disappointment was in my own play on the front side. At times I was so caught up in the beauty of my surroundings, that I forgot that the objective was getting the little ball in the hole.

That gorgeous Saturday afternoon at Stonebridge featured generous, sweeping fairways lined with ancient oaks, punctuated by brimming lakes, and framed with fescue. Stonebridge's changes in elevation (something we don’t encounter much in Florida) were gradual and gentle. Despite recent heavy rains, the fairways offered solid footing and ample roll, and the undulating greens rolled true and quick.

The architecture of the homes bracing the links was as
splendid as the course itself. My attention was repeatedly diverted by the diversity of dwellings sitting on hills above the fairways, and visible through the majestic oaks that guarded this suburban Chicago gem. 

After a less than stellar and touristy 49 on the front side, I buckled down a bit and shot a relatively respectable 42 on the back, even with an "8" on the last hole! Thanks for sharing all that local knowledge Russ. Patty, next time all those around the edges will drop in...

Day 2: Rich Harvest Farms
If Saturday afternoon was sensational, then Sunday morning

was spectacular. A cool breeze and high def sunshine characterized this midwestern morning, and that was a fitting backdrop for lush contours of Rich Harvest Farms. Russ and Richard had done their best to scare-uh-prepare me for
the Rich Harvest Farms test, and I knew from reviewing the scorecard ahead of time that it would be different from any other course I had played to date. I believe that is what Jerry Rich, owner and president intended when he designed this golfing treasure (Here’s a link to all the accolades for Rich Harvest Farms).

Looking at my list of 304 scores posted over the past five

years, Rich Harvest Farms has the highest course rating (74.7) and slope (145) from the members tee of any course I’ve played. Old Corkscrew in Estero, Florida is a close second from the members (or 3rd tee) at 72 and 144 rating and slope respectively.
Rich Harvest Farms Silver #5 Green
I went into the round at RHF thinking that if I bogeyed every hole I’d be happy. After all, the 2017 NCAA Championships are going to be played there, so it must be a pretty stern test of golf. And it was a stern test, but in a different way than Old Corkscrew.

Although both courses present considerable challenges, I
#5 from the tee box
think most of the difficulty at Old Corkscrew rests primarily in the tricky, often very fast greens, which demand precision on approach shots. Perhaps it was because I was new to the course, but RHF seemed to present challenges, different and interesting challenges, on almost every shot.

I think my favorite tee shot challenge at RHF was Hole 4 on
Rich Harvest Farms Silver #4
the Silver (back) nine. The fairway had to be at least 80 feet below the tee box with plenty of trouble between the tee box and fairway and what appeared like narrow goalposts in the distance to hit through. Fair to say it was an intimidating tee shot. I just barely cleared the junk and went on to make one of the few pars I had that day. Uh, by the way, the 430-yard par-4 hole is listed as the second hardest hole on the course.

Speaking of how I played, I was passing the stern test through 15 of the 18 holes. Consistent with my goal going in, I had played bogey golf on the front (45) and was on my way to

surpassing my goal on the back (+4 after six holes), when, inexplicably, my golf mind vanished and took my golf swing with it. To put it in perspective, I shot +9 on the final three holes! That’s the same number over par that I shot on the entire front side! Yes, I love this game even when it doesn't love me. I walked off the course in shock.
Ya know, I would like another crack at playing that
formidable track, but I might relish even more the opportunity to just ride the course taking shots of the nifty bunkering, the blind tee shots, the tantalizing risk-reward options, the unwavering undulation of fairway and green, and just the sheer beauty of Rich Harvest Farms. Perhaps another time.

The best shots I took (click here for RHF photos), were not of


the course itself, but of the incredible collection of vehicles housed in the one-of-a-kind “Clubhouse.” RHF is home to
RHF Museum
one of the world’s finest automobile collections, featuring horse-drawn stagecoaches to Ferraris. I could try to do this collection justice with words, but I would be bound to fail. And heck, others have tried (click here for one such attempt).

Richard and Ruth's generosity and hospitality will stay with
At the Edelmans
me long after images of the golf courses fade, and the entire weekend was a reminder of how good it is to have good friends with whom to share special moments. Thanks folks! But there are more golf highlights to share with you. If you care to read now or later, click here for installment #2.


1 comment:

  1. T.A.,

    Your time in the Greater Chicago Area was even better than you described it to me. Your photo and recap of your stay there is terrific. I enjoyed reading and seeing it all.

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.