Blog Description

You are likely to find everything golf here. Product reviews, course reviews, tournament commentary, and of course reports on my on-course travails. I hope you find it enhancing.

Note: The way the editor works, the appearance of the blog is different depending on the laptop/pc/smartphone that you are using and the screen resolution. It may look great on one and very different on another. Sorry, but I can't control that. Hopefully you get the gist and won't be too put off if it doesn't look the way it does on my monitor...which of course is fantastic :)!

Thursday, August 22, 2013

COURSE REVIEW: THE HIDEAWAY COUNTRY CLUB- FORT MYERS

Invariably, the first time someone who lives in the Greater Fort Myers area comes through the gates at The Hideaway Country Club, he or she will utter, with the most pleasantly surprised inflection, “I didn’t even know this existed!” The Hideaway has been one of Southwest Florida’s best kept secrets, but the word is getting out and the appreciation is rolling in.

I have plenty of praises to sing for this short-but-lovely, Ron Garl-designed track, but being a stickler pre-game range work, I must say that one element of Hideaway experience that is lacking: No range! However, there is a net to hit into, a large practice green, around which chipping is allowed, and another practice area where you can work your wedges and bunker game.

At 5146 yards from the tips, this little gem may not seem like much to the big hitters, but the new renovation (summer 2013) with Paspalum grass from tee through green, and the design features make it enough of a challenge that even the bombers find themselves appreciating not just the beauty of the landscape, but the nuances of the course itself.
The Hideaway offers golf delight right from the very first tee box. At 312 yards, the slight dogleg right, par four tempts the long-hitter to launch it over pines. A successful drive over the trees will generally end up just short or even on the green for a great eagle or birdie try. 


Those who don’t hit quite so long only have to drive it 200 yards to have a wedge into the green and a nice birdie op as well.Florida is not known for elevation changes, but that is precisely what you get on the second and third holes at The Hideaway, both par threes, but after a good shot at birdie on the 120-yard second, the 172-yard third up the hill presents a nice challenge. 

The driver can come out again on the 364-yard par four fourth, but the fairway narrows where a good drive is likely to fall, and there’s water left and OB right if your accuracy is shaky. After you capture your “easy” bird on No.5 (just 120 yards with two bunkers protecting short right and left), you can choose driver on 6 and 7 (both 343 yard par fours). However, unless you’re really confident, you might wanna leave the “Big Dawg” in the bag or you could ruin your round before you get to the par-five eighth.


The dogleg right 8th can be an eagle hole if you get brave and take a blind shot over the trees. That’s the only way you are getting there in two. Otherwise, it’s two shots to the green, which is pretty accessible and amenable to birdies. No.9, at 190 yards, is the longest par three on the course, and with water all the way up the right and the tree line really close on the left you had better be on the straight and narrow here. 

Listen, I can write about this cute, little, cheerleader of a track for pages on end, but you need to try it yourself. The Paspalum fairways remind me of hitting from a mat…almost…and the greens roll so very truly, even if a bit slowly at The Hideaway.
All I’ll tell you about the inward nine is that the final three holes consist of a par 5 (No. 16) and two of the longest par fours on the course. Fortunately you shouldn’t be tired even if you have walked this little beauty. 

Like the course, the pro shop and staff are small, but they get the job done. All in all, The Hideaway is a terrific value for the money from May through September (only members from October through April), and if it had a driving range, I’d join in a heartbeat. 

I'm might be just a little biased, since I practice my trade at The Hideaway, but you don't have to take my word for it. Plenty of others share my views (check ratings and reviews here). If you read the reviews, you'll see comments like, "I can't express just how fantastic this place is. I only wish it was open to the public. I will play there are often as I can!" And from another: "This was the best maintained course I have ever played. The tee boxes were good enough to putt on. The food was excellent... I wish I lived near so I could play all the time. If I could give it 6 stars I would." 

If you are in the area from May through September, you will want to make a tee time at The Hideaway. Unfortunately, it's members only from October through April. Once the best kept secret in town, The Hideaway is now just one of the best courses in town.  "You're still Away"...T. A.

1 comment:

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.