Blog Description

You are likely to find everything golf here. Product reviews, course reviews, tournament commentary, and of course reports on my on-course travails. I hope you find it enhancing.

Note: The way the editor works, the appearance of the blog is different depending on the laptop/pc/smartphone that you are using and the screen resolution. It may look great on one and very different on another. Sorry, but I can't control that. Hopefully you get the gist and won't be too put off if it doesn't look the way it does on my monitor...which of course is fantastic :)!

Thursday, August 22, 2013

PRELUDE TO THE WORLD AMATEUR HANDICAP CHAMPIONSHIPS IN MYRTLE BEACH

2012 WAHC WinnerRobert Mieczkowski
Well all-righty then! The courses that the 47 other competitors in my flight and I will be playing in the 30th Golf.com World Amateur Handicap Championships have been revealed. Uh, for those used to me talking/writing tennis, I’m talking golf here.

This is my second time playing this incredibly fun event (played 2011), and I’ll be competing against 3,318 other golfers from 29 countries for the right to hold up the WAHC 2013 trophy. Not likely, but it sure will be fun frustration trying. The guys I play with are nodding in agreement at that last bit.

In all, there are 70 flights, including six women’s flights…oh yeah, a few women have actually won this event. There are scratch-golfer flights, super-senior (70-plus) flights, but the mid-seniors (60-69) have 23 flights! My division, the senior men (50-59) has 19 flights. 
  
The handicap range for this event is incredible! There are players with negative handicaps, as in -2.6, and -2.4 and a few 0.0 handicaps as well. At the other end of the spectrum, I saw at least three participants with handicaps of 40.4.

You might think that it is a waste of time for a 40-handicapper to compete with scratch golfers, but that’s the great thing about golf and handicaps: Anyone can have a good event and win. Take the 2009 winner, she had a 16.8 handicap, while the 2011 champ had a 3.9. The 2007 champion had a 27.5 handicap while last year’s winner had an 8.1. My 14.2 has hope…however tiny that hope may be.

Win or lose, however, the event is just plain heaven for a wanna-be golfer. If you want to, you can play, eat and sleep golf in Myrtle Beach, or you can play golf for a few hours, go to the beach or whatever else you like to do on vacation, then go back to the 19th hole for the dinner and entertainment your entry fee paid for.

You play four days like the big boys and girls, you get to play four different courses, you get to see your name on a leaderboard…moving up or down…, the goodie bag is topnotch, and, heck, you might even win the thing. As long as I can afford it, I’ll be playing this event every year.

When I played two years ago, it was a solo trip to Myrtle, and a total blast. This time around, I’ll have my other half with me and that should just double the fun. I hope to have what it takes to report on the experience like I did the last time around.

If interested, here are the courses that I will be playing next week in the tournament:

Day 1: Tigers Eye Golf Links








Day 2: Aberdeen Country Club













Day 3: TPC of Myrtle Beach











Day 4: Myrtlewood Golf Club- Palmetto Course



Stay tuned for my reports from Myrtle, wish us good weather, and wish me a choke-free experience :). "Grip it and rip it"...T. A.

1 comment:

  1. seems rather difficult for you to compete on these courses. after all, a tennis ball just doesn't have the same range off the tee box as a golf ball. although if anyone can swing a racquet with the power of a driver, it will be you.

    but putting is just going to be a problem. is a tennis ball going to fit in the hole? my tennis game always puts me in the hole, but that is not a good thing.

    best of luck under any circumstances. sounds like a blast, and you will do great. we will all be cheering for you to do well, and to quickly recover from your golf obsession and return to the sanity? of tennis.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.