Blog Description

You are likely to find everything golf here. Product reviews, course reviews, tournament commentary, and of course reports on my on-course travails. I hope you find it enhancing.

Note: The way the editor works, the appearance of the blog is different depending on the laptop/pc/smartphone that you are using and the screen resolution. It may look great on one and very different on another. Sorry, but I can't control that. Hopefully you get the gist and won't be too put off if it doesn't look the way it does on my monitor...which of course is fantastic :)!

Sunday, April 27, 2014

THURSDAY NIGHT GAME UNDERWAY AT THE HIDEAWAY

Ready to rock n roll
Ah yes, the golf season is truly underway! The first edition of the Thursday Night Quota and Skins Game (QSG) at 
Jeff Ashby
The Hideaway Country Club, with Jeff Ashby at the helm, was teed up this past Thursday April 24th, and although we weren’t up to half-speed, we still had almost 30 golfers on hand.

You can find just about anyone playing the Thursday Night QSG, and you pretty much did on opening night.  
Of course The Hideaway’s Director of Golf Sean Balliet and our other PGA professional, Dave Bartoe along with
The Hideaway’s Chair of the Greens Committee, Joe Thompson teed it up. We also had Sean Roberts, area representative of Golf Channel and golfnow.com, Curt Conrad Golf Course Superintendent at El Rio Golf Club in Cape Coral, and all sorts of other golf-loving characters with handicaps covering the spectrum.” 

If you aren’t yet aware, the QSG is a 9-hole shotgun competition that happens every Thursday night at 5:30pm at
They must be in the money
The Hideaway Country Club in Fort Myers (unless there’s some maintenance getting in the way), and I have personally seen players walkaway with over $400 earnings. 

It's payout time!
That’s not bad for the paltry sum of $20 ($10 for members) to participate…and that’s not considering the saliva-evoking aroma of free popcorn wafting through the evening air as you approach the clubhouse after the game.

Steph in action at World Am 2013
Oh yeah, before I forget, there's one other...no make that two other things no other game in town has, and that's the best-looking photographer in town, Steph, and of course, me. That's not enough to get you out there? Well heck, at least I gave it the ole college try... 

Chris doing the beverage thing
Some might emphasize the $2 beer that Chris offers as he putt-putts his way around the course on the beverage cart.
Some might focus on the fact that you could hardly find a better way to end your work day. Others may revel in the pristine condition of The Hideaway’s unique track. Me? I like the opportunity to compete at least once every week. Great way to prepare for the World Amateur Handicap Championship at the end of August.

Sean not happy with this one
The really good thing about the Thursday Night QSG, and about golf in general, is that you compete based upon your level of play. Scratch golfers such as Sean Balliet, participates, and if he hadn’t just been presented with his second daughter (“Sienna the Sleepless”), he probably wouldn’t have been so happy to tell me that he fell far short of his point-quota for the day.

I need how many? Chris only needs what?
I was bleeping and moaning about my quota (14 points for a 15 handicap!!!?), but when it came right down to it,
I've got it right here
Sean showed me the evidence on paper, and I really should have made my quota. As it was, I had to tell myself that it’s early in the season, and forgive my meltdown on No.6, or I might just hang up the clubs altogether.

No.6 is a little par-4, a bit uphill, but only 343 yards from the tips (on 
Hideaway No.6- Seriously, it's as uphill as it gets around here
the card; 334 online…which is right Sean?). The online tip advises, “Accuracy is the key to this tee 
This is how close I was after my drive
shot,” and “A good drive is a must here as trees guard both sides of the fairway.” I proceed to hit the best drive I have ever hit on the hole: right in the middle of the fairway with 65 yards, I think Chris said, to the hole.

With the same sand wedge in my hand that I had used to practice 60-yard shots for at least

Smooth back swing
from 60-odd yards
an hour the day before, it was time to get that birdie and a vital four points toward making my quota. I took a nice, smooth practice swing, trying hard to merely envision my target and ignore the mounting anxiety. 

Somewhere during my backswing, it occurred to me that the ball might be a bit too close. Right about then would have been the perfect time to step away and start my routine again. 

In the woods!
I didn’t...start my routine again, I mean. Instead, I shanked that sand wedge on a sharp 45-degree angle, cleanly through one of the holes in the fence, into the thicket, beyond reach or visibility. Yep, the “C-word” that only Johnny Miller dares utter: “Choke!” 

Kip & Charles having a good time
I could describe the rest of the hole, but let’s just say I didn’t score. I believe two of my playing partners, Charles Byrd and Chris Capps, both made par on that hole, from my worse positions than I had found off the tee.

No.7 from the tee
When I delivered a mighty hook off the tee on the next and final hole of the afternoon, the 347-yard-par-4 7th, it appeared as though the meltdown was thorough and complete. 
Chris Capps lets one fly
Chris smashed his drive down the middle (less than a 100 in), Kip ____ followed in my stead, only along the ground and into the wet stuff, and Charles bombed one down the right side, just inside the fence.

Hideaway No.7 left up the hill
We drove in the direction of my wayward drive, and still smarting from the collapse on No.6, I barely cared if we found it. Ah, but there it was atop the hill, the tree limbs not really in the way, and just the lake, some rocks, and about 137 yards between me and the hole. 

Hideaway No.7 from up the hill
Given the way I’m swinging, a smooth 8-iron would probably just right…and it was. Two putts later, I had recovered from my disaster on No.6 and a poor drive to finish the evening with a par.


At the end of the day, Chris had hit his 12 points right on the number and Charles had hit his seven. Kip and I didn’t quite cut the mustard, but we’ll be back at em next week at 5:30pm at The Hideaway. 

Finishing things off with some tall tales
I’m looking for a better performance from myself next week, and looking forward to the popcorn and brew after the game. No better way to end a Thursday! May all your shots be pleasingly plump…T. A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.