Blog Description

You are likely to find everything golf here. Product reviews, course reviews, tournament commentary, and of course reports on my on-course travails. I hope you find it enhancing.

Note: The way the editor works, the appearance of the blog is different depending on the laptop/pc/smartphone that you are using and the screen resolution. It may look great on one and very different on another. Sorry, but I can't control that. Hopefully you get the gist and won't be too put off if it doesn't look the way it does on my monitor...which of course is fantastic :)!

Monday, May 5, 2014

HIDEAWAY QUOTA SKINS GAME WEEK 2

Nobody did much the first Thursday Night QSG of the season, but that was not the case this past Thursday, as
Scott LoVecchio
Scott LoVecchio was plus-7 on his round (what did he have to get Jeff; 3 points? wink) AND snagged a skin with his birdie on No.17. 

Showing his winning technique
Now, Scott can’t retire on his winnings, but hey, pocketing $92 for nine holes ($42 for 
plus-7 on his quota and $50 for the skin) on a Thursday afternoon after work ain’t half bad…especially with just a $20 entry. Scott was both a good golfer and a stand-up guy last Thursday, buying a round for the house in celebration.

An unhappy T. A.
I wasn’t very optimistic when we started on Thursday. In fact, I was downright pessimistic; so much so that I had Chris Hill fix me up a Bloody Mary before we started. I almost never touch the stuff before or during a round if I’m serious about playing golf.

Chris Capps 
That pessimism was based upon my performance during the practice holes that Chris Capps and I played on the front-9 prior to the QSG teeing off on the back. Let’s just way it wasn’t pretty, and I was feeling the five scorching hours of lessons I had given earlier that day, and didn’t think there’s was anyway I would do anything good on the course that evening.

Sean Roberts and Sean Balliet 
Of course, that would be the day that I would have the privilege of playing with Sean Balliet, our Director of Golf at The Hideaway, 
Sean Roberts
Sean Roberts, a local rep with golfnow.com and Golf Channel, and my g-bud (usual golf buddy) Chris. Chris has seen me at my worst, so I’m not worried about him watching me play lousy golf, but the other two? Well, that’s different.

I wonder whose ball they're looking for? Wasn't mine!
So we proceed to Hole 17 to fire off our salvos in the shotgun start. A too-long 3-wood (which I thought was a good shot), a 7-iron right of the green, and a totally unwarranted 3-putt, and I’m sitting on a double bogey. 
Admiring Sean's swing
Geez! Right off the bat? I don’t remember what the other guys had, and it didn’t even matter. It looked like a self-fulfilling prophecy was in the making.

I managed to bogey 18 from the middle of the fairway (lucky bounce off the rocks!), because, well, simply because I can’t bleepin’ hit my irons!!! As a writer, I know about writer’s block. 

Now, as a golfer, when it comes to putting second shots on the green, I have golfer’s block. I better figure something out before it’s time to head to Myrtle Beach for the World Am in August! 
That said, somehow I managed to hit three of the next four greens, notch three pars on holes 10 through 12, and, miracles never cease, I dropped a birdie on No.13. 

Tree trouble? No problem
I’m proud of that bird because, because after I hit what I thought was a nice drive, I ended up with a tad bit of hanging-branch trouble right at the corner of the dogleg. I punched a low 9-iron to about eight feet and sank the birdie putt. But wouldn’t you know it? I finally get a birdie in the QSG and it doesn’t hold up when it was time to pay up.

But hey, although I didn’t do anything worthwhile the rest of the way, I posted a six-over-40 on the back-9, which is certainly the best I have done at The Hideaway this season... 
Chris Hill making the rounds
and certainly more than I would expect after two Bloody Marys. Oh, I also got one more point than my quota of 12 for the day (Yeah, Chris came by in the beverage cart and took care of me. He’s cool that way).

Sean driving with the hips
Sean B wasn’t too thrilled with his performance for most of the nine, but he closed with a birdie on 16 that picked his spirits up a bit. I think he may have even scored a point above his quota. Chris posted 13, one above his quota as well, and Sean R? 
Jeff dishing out the loot
Well, given his stellar performance during Week 1, I’m guessing he may have fallen a tad short this time around. I’m sure he’ll be back with a vengeance next week.

Chet and his pals enjoy a cold one
That’s the thing about The Hideaway’s Thursday Night QSG: even if you don’t make a nickel, it’s still a blast! 
Dave Bartoe & his Stogie
The guys who come out are guys who just love the game, the course is in great shape, and although Chris is no honey of a cart girl or anything, he gets the job done with the refreshments before, during and after the game (That popcorn is da bomb!).

Steph getting some pre-game shots
I'm sure that having the sweetest photographer in town doesn't hurt any. Sure makes my Thursday Night more enjoyable. What do you guys think? Speaking of photography, click here for additional photos of The Hideaway’s Thursday Night QSG on 5/1. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.