Blog Description

You are likely to find everything golf here. Product reviews, course reviews, tournament commentary, and of course reports on my on-course travails. I hope you find it enhancing.

Note: The way the editor works, the appearance of the blog is different depending on the laptop/pc/smartphone that you are using and the screen resolution. It may look great on one and very different on another. Sorry, but I can't control that. Hopefully you get the gist and won't be too put off if it doesn't look the way it does on my monitor...which of course is fantastic :)!

Saturday, May 31, 2014

PASSION FOUNDATION TRI-TOWN CLASSIC AT STONEYBROOK: A RECAP




It has been two weeks since the Passion Foundation’s 5th Annual Tri-Town Classic Charity Golf Tournament at Stoneybrook Golf Course in Estero, and we now have what we need to get the recap done. 

As any avid golfer (or as the relational partner of an avid golfer) knows, when it comes to an opportunity to swing the sticks (as my buddy Maxwell likes to say), any excuse will do.

Well there aren’t too many excuses better than a worthwhile charity, such as the Passion Foundation’s, to head for the links…and when you include a venue like Stoneybrook for the charitable event, is an excuse even necessary? I don’t think so.


Melissa Haynie welcomes after party-goers
And so it was with a clear conscience and considerable anticipation that Steph and I headed down to Stoneybrook on May 16th for that 5th Annual event, and it was with great gratification that we left Stoneybrook and headed for the after party at The Sandy Parrot. Heck, we had already had a great time, and maybe we would get lucky too and win one of the raffle prizes.

At the Sandy Parrot
From the size of the crowd, it appeared that most of the event’s 80 participants and their guests had similar ideas, and had made it down to the Sandy Parrot to celebrate the culmination of the Tri-Town Classic. 

Hungry golfers 
I know we kept the kitchen and wait-staff awfully busy, but I couldn’t tell you how many different dishes they brought out. We didn’t leave there hungry; that I can tell you!
Jamming at the Sandy Parrot

Event organizers, Melissa Haynie, Dana Simantel, and all who helped them put this thing together did a tremendous job, especially with getting the media out, finding sponsors and amassing raffle prizes.
Some of the event sponsors


Eleven major sponsors (contributing $500 or more), including TSU LLC (which produces the very blog you are reading), chipped in to make the event a success. A number of other individuals and businesses stepped up as contributing sponsors as well.
At the party hole with Mike, John & Bob



If you were at Stoneybrook on the 16th, I'm guessing you would agree that a good time was had by all. I know that my playing partners (Mike Manning, Johnny Amoroso, and Bob Disharoon) would all agree, since we had a blast making our way around the delightful Stoneybrook track. I had an especially good time on Hole No.2 when my drive, my 3-wood, and my 20-foot putt nabbed us an Eagle! 

Most of the time, though, it was Mike bombing it out there and John getting us on the green that characterized our foursome. 
I think John stuck this one

It was obvious that my partners were familiar with each other because the banter was absolutely hilarious! Even if the golf hadn't been as entertaining as it was, these guys would have made it worthwhile.

Mike letting it rip
As for my eagle, sure it was only playing 501 yards from the white tees, which is where we played from, but an eagle is an eagle, and they don’t come around too often in my world of golf. I dropped at least two other long putts for the team, and I’m sure that would be surprising to anyone who plays with me on a regular basis. I did miss a 3-footer that would have tied us for third, but let’s not focus too much on that.

Jeff Nixon & Stoneybrook staff join the party
I would rather focus on Stoneybrook, the site of the Classic. I don’t know that we would have much say-so as an event sponsor, but we would vote to hold the Passion Foundation’s flagship charity event at Stoneybrook every year! Why? I’m guessing that Melissa hasn’t worked with a better golf course staff than the folks she worked with at Stoneybrook. 

Getting the show on the road
As a matter of fact, since writing the above, Melissa wrote me, "They were great! It went so smooth, they were so accommodating, it was a pleasure to work with them. I already can't wait for next year!" But the fact that the staff is super cool is only one reason that I'd vote for Stoneybrook.

My primary reason would be because  the course is just a plain joy to play! As you can imagine, I have played quite a few courses in the area over the past eight years, and 
Stoneybrook is definitely one of the more interesting and visually appealing tracks I have played. I’m a major fan of all the stonework, and wooden bridges, such as you would find coming up on Hole No.5.

I’m also a sucker for wildlife, variety in the foliage, and diversity in the landscape so that as I come upon each hole, it presents a view that captures my attention. 
Stoneybrook presented all that and more. I also happen to enjoy a course with water accentuating the terrain and there is apparent agua on just about every hole, although it doesn’t always come into play.

I don’t know that anyone would call Stoneybrook “spectacular,” given the incredible depth that we have in golf courses across southwest Florida and picturesque scenes we see on the tube, but as a lover of golf, each hole at Stoneybrook tugged at my heartstrings, engaged my eyes, and made me want more.

All of the above are components of a distinctive Stoneybrook aesthetic, and if the aesthetics weren’t enough to endear this unique track to me, the practicalities would. There are seven, yep, count em, seven sets of tees to accommodate just about anyone, including the bombers who can tee it up from 7353 yards, and the greens were in great shape when we played the event!

Jeff Nixon showing how it's done
Stoneybrook houses an aqua range, a short game practice area, a huge putting green, and a full complement of distinguished Golf Professionals (Jeff Nixon and Andy Scott are decorated pros, and Jordan Ball is on his way). The facility also provides a junior friendly environment, and if it’s good enough for the FGCU Lady Eagles Golf Team, then it’s surely good enough for me.

Repeat Champions
I really could go on and on ad nauseam as far as the Stoneybrook experience is concerned, but time is running a bit short, and I did want to offer up kudos to the winners of the Passion Foundation’s 5th Annual Tri-Town Classic Charity Golf Tournament. Rob and Tiff Rardin and Kevin and Megan Henry successfully defended their 2013 title, and I imagine they will be back for more in 2015. 

As for the purpose of the event, to raise funds for the Passion Foundation’s efforts to protect our young ones from the potential lethal horrors of melanoma, $11,000.00 were raised toward that end. Steph and I were happy to be a part of that effort, and we hope to see many more uv-ray-protective structures raised in playgrounds across southwest Florida.

Angie Guillette with champ
I suppose the bottom line of this recap post is that the Passion Foundation event was one heck of a good time, on one heck of a golf course, and we were able to contribute to one heck of a good cause. If you were there, I'm sure you agree, and if you weren't, maybe you'll get on board next year. Thanks for tipping us off Angie! Click here for more on the Passion Foundation, and here to explore Stoneybrook Golf Course.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.