Blog Description

You are likely to find everything golf here. Product reviews, course reviews, tournament commentary, and of course reports on my on-course travails. I hope you find it enhancing.

Note: The way the editor works, the appearance of the blog is different depending on the laptop/pc/smartphone that you are using and the screen resolution. It may look great on one and very different on another. Sorry, but I can't control that. Hopefully you get the gist and won't be too put off if it doesn't look the way it does on my monitor...which of course is fantastic :)!

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

PASSION FOUNDATION GOLF TOURNEY THIS FRIDAY AT STONEYBROOK

Previous Tri-Town Classic-
Photo courtesy of passion-foundation.org
In just a few days, actually just two now (Friday, May 16), the Passion Foundation’s 5th Annual Tri-Town Classic Charity Golf Tournament will be teeing off at 1pm at Stoneybrook Golf Course in Estero, and I can’t wait to swing the clubs for a terrific cause.  


Stoneybrook Golf Shop
What is the cause? Simply to raise awareness of and enhance the prevention of melanoma. What I really like is that the awareness and prevention targets kids, whom we rarely think of as potential melanoma victims, but who become the adults who are eventually diagnosed. 

Stoneybrook junior golf camp
According to cancer.net, “The risk of developing melanoma may also be higher in people who have had multiple, severe, blistering sunburns, particularly in childhood [emphasis added].

Sounds to me like making sure kids are protected from the sun’s rays may be characterized as an “ounce of prevention,” especially since the “pound of cure” is often not enough. 

What a bag!
Again, using cancer.net’s stats, “Melanoma accounts for less than 2% of all skin cancer cases but a majority of skin cancer deaths, as it is the most serious form of skin cancer. I’m thinking early shelter is a really good idea! Tara and Jon Parla believe it’s a good idea as well, and they founded the Passion Foundation and began their campaign of education and prevention after Tara was diagnosed with metastasis melanoma in 2010 (read Tara’s story here). 

The Parlas- Photo courtesy
of passion-foundation.org
Since that time, the Foundation, in collaboration with Riverchase Dermatology and Shades Abound, has helped erect seven shade tents over playgrounds at local schools, and the project marches on with the help of all the participants in, and sponsors of, the Tri-Town Classic.

In addition to a great cause, the Tri-Town Classic is a great time, and at a very special venue. In the eight years I have been in Fort Myers, 
Stoneybrook scenes
I have played quite a few tracks (oh, that means "courses" for the uninitiated), and as Steph and I traversed Stoneybrook yesterday, I couldn’t, for the life of me, figure out why I have not played Stoneybrook! 


Stoneybrook scenes
This isn’t the place to do a full review of Stoneybrook (that deserves a post all its own; click here if you can’t wait for mine), but I have to mention the facility that will host the Passion Foundation’s Tri-Town Classic, and it is a facility that I loved on sight and can’t wait to play. 

Stoneybrook scenes
As Steph and I drove the course, we couldn’t help but compare it to another course that we had recently driven a bit north of our location. Stoneybrook was the leader by quite a few lengths.

In fact, comparing Stoneybrook to the various courses I have played in the area, I have to conclude that it has a rather unique charm. 


Stoneybrook scenes
The fantastic features of the course I will save for the review, but in addition to the features that we discovered later, Steph and I could tell the difference immediately upon heading toward the range. Given the Passion Foundation’s objectives with children, Stoneybrook is perhaps the ideal venue to hold the Foundation’s signature event.

Jeff Nixon shares some knowledge
It was obvious that Jeff Nixon (Head Golf Professional) and Jordan Ball (1st Assistant Golf Professional) have worked to ensure that Stoneybrook is a junior golf haven. I have a desk draw full of cards from a variety of golf courses in a number of states, but I have not experienced the scene that we experienced as we walked up to chat with Jeff and Jordan on the range.
Stoneybrook junior campers

The cluster of junior bags, and the tikes whoowned them striping balls into the fountain spray of the aqua range made quite the inspiring and
heartwarming impression.
Showing off his soft draw
I’m sure there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of scenes like this across the country, but I just haven’t seen any. We were looking at the future of golf, and it was a sight to see.

Photo courtesy of passion-foundation.org
As I am writing this, it occurred to me that it might be good to have the kind of protective
covering over the Stoneybrook driving range that Shades Abound erects over playgrounds. I know that I wouldn’t mind the protection, and doubt that anyone else would either. But I digress…



Tri-Town Tourney participants
Photo courtesy of passion-foundation.org
The bottom line is that Friday afternoon at Stoneybrook, a fun golf event to benefit a noteworthy social cause will take place and Steph and I will be there in support, and to enjoy. Our Company TSU LLC and Tasgolfblog.blogspot.com are Fore Caddie sponsors and you could certainly chip in to prevent melanoma by donating to the Passion Foundation.

It's not too late for you to get into the Tri-Town Classic, and if you prefer, I bet that you
Sandy Parrot
Photo courtesy of Sandy Parrot website
could attend and drop off a check at the after party to be hosted at The Sandy Parrot. Live music, prizes, raffles, giveaways, and much more are available to participants and their family and friends. Hope to see you there this coming Friday. 

Contact Melissa Haynie at melissa@tri-townconstruction.com or call 239-898-6531 if you would like to be a part of the Tri-Town Classic.

 Drive for show & putt for dough...T. A. & Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.